I am not ashamed to say I am a Chinese takeout fanatic. I would gladly eat it every day and would never get tired of it. I decided I should probably learn how to cook my favorite meal at home. So was born the chicken teriyaki bowl.
This is super easy to throw together- about 20 minutes- and is pretty healthy. It also saves really well so it could be great to put together for lunch for the week.
Did I mention as your cooking this your whole family will stand behind you eagerly waiting for dinner to be ready? The smell is heavenly.
Hope this recipe hits your Chinese takeout fix without having to leave your house!
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 4 cups steamed broccoli
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper
- Cook chicken in a skillet, stirring occasionally until done
- In a bowl combine sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch and whisk until combined,
- Pour over cooked chicken and simmer. Allowing the sauce to thicken and coat chicken. Add carrots. Cook about 5 minutes. Add seeds
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package instructions and steam broccoli.
- Serve chicken over cooked rice and steamed broccoli.