I have had a lot of pregnant friends asking what they really need for a baby. It can be so overwhelming to walk into the huge baby stores and think “OMG I need 600 things to keep this child safe and happy!” Breathe, I got you! The truth is you really don’t need too much stuff. The even bigger truth is that most things will get ruined by spit up or other unmentionable bodily fluids so it’s not worth spending a lot of money on them. Disclaimer- I did not take this advice with Jackson and totally regret it! More on that later.
The first list I put together are those items I never used, or overspent on. The second list is the items I used the most often or found most valuable. There are some items that are pricey but I really think the convenience they offer makes the price well worth it.
I’ll start with the items you need, but don’t need to spend a lot of money on.
- Burp cloths- You will need a TON of burp cloths. Most likely storing them in multiple places so you are never out of arms reach from one. But burp cloths need to be functional. I had Jackson’s all made to match and monogrammed. They were beautiful and so stupid. I remember the first time he threw up one (he was probably 4 hours old) and I realized what a huge waste of money that was.
- Bedding- changing sheets will become almost a daily habit. Making sure the sheets are comfortable, breathable, and easy to clean are your first priority. Also having multiple sets will make your life so much easier. So again, skimp on the fancy bedding and instead invest in multiple sets so you’re always ready. What did I do you ask? Had beautiful navy blue linen bumpers monogrammed – they were ruined within 5 weeks. Again, do I say not as I do.
- Fancy bathtub- We were gifted this amazing bathtub that would track the water temperature along with all these other crazy cool features. One weekend we left town and had to buy whatever they had on hand in the local Walmart to bathe Jackson. Turns out the six dollar seat we bought at Walmart was 100% easier to use and so much more portable than the big tub. Yes its neat that it can track temperature, but so can the back of your hand and that’s free.
- Wipe warmer- if you actually took the time to warm the wipes you used on your baby you are an infinitely better Mother than me. That’s all I’m going to say about that.
- Highchair- This one is like the bathtub. We bought a beautiful high chair that I could not wait to get home and use. Well, Jackson, as usual, was the deciding vote and he was against it. His favorite seat was one we bought at Target for about fifteen dollars. He loved that he could sit right up at the table with us, and I loved that it did not take up any extra space in my kitchen. It has grown with him from five months until now (almost 2). This one was a solid purchase! Ya know-after we wasted money on the first one.
So onto my favorites!!
- Uppababy Vista– Ill prepare you right now, this stroller is expensive. Like give your Husband a cocktail, and tell him to play golf on Saturday before you ask for it expensive. That being said the convenience is amazing. The car seat snaps right into the stroller base. Meaning you never have to wake up your sweet baby to transition from stroller to car or vice versa. It also comes with a bassinet and then a rumble seat for toddlers. What makes it even better is that you can purchase converters that will make this stroller able to carry two or three kids. It really is the only stroller you will ever need. Its lightweight, easy to break down, and has plenty of storage. I have bought other strollers that are less expensive and I found that most of them broke or were very hard to use. This stroller I bough when Jackson was about a month old and I have no doubt I will use it for all of our other children. This stroller is an investment for sure. But it’s a smart investment that will last for years and multiple kids. Just buy it- trust me.
- Fever Frida– This is a thermometer that you place under your child’s arm and cover so its stays in place while they sleep. It is small enough so the kids don’t mind wearing it.The magic happens when you download the app and sync up with the thermometer. The app will automatically track your child’s temperature so you don’t have to continually wake a sick baby to get their temp. You can even set alerts so your phone tells you if their temperature starts to rise. This has saved my life so many times. Especially on those nights when you are too afraid to sleep in case their fever spikes. This device has allowed me to get much-needed rest so I can take better care of my sick kiddo so I would recommend it to anyone!
- Summer Video Monitor– Not much description needed here. The first time you put your baby in the nursery to sleep and you cant see them you are going to lose your mind. Spend the money on the video- your sanity is worth it.
- 4moms Mamaroo– Need 5 minutes to take feed yourself, or run a brush through your hair? I have the answer, the 4moms Mamaroo. This bouncer was Jackson’s favorite. It has multiple settings so you can choose which movement is most soothing for your child. It also plays white noise and other calming sounds. Other than being held, this was Jackson’s favorite place to be.
- Boppy pillow– This one isn’t expensive but oh so necessary. Amazing to prop baby on for feedings, or just as a place for them to lounge. Also great at they get older and are working on sitting up on their own. Most have covers that are removable so they can be washed. I would recommend buying multiple covers.
- Bumbo seat– I want to meet whoever invented this seat and kiss them. We used this seat almost every day for months. It’s super lightweight so you can take it everywhere. Including just moving it from room to room in your house. Did I take it to restaurants before he could sit in a highchair? Oh you know I did. No shame in my game.
- Milk Snob Cover– I hate clutter and carrying a ton of stuff around. So when something is a 2 for 1- I’m all about it. I love this cover for that reason. The material isn’t super heavy so it’s a great cover for a place like Texas where it’s hot 97% of the time. Also when you need to nurse all you have to do is pull the cover off your car seat and put it on. This is one of my favorite gifts to give at baby showers because it’s so functional.
There are so many other great products out there but these are just a few of my favorite. If you have any questions about specific things just ask! I also have a hospital packing list I saved that a few friends have said was very helpful. If anyone is interested I can do a post with the packing list. Hope this was helpful!!