Sunday is my favorite. It is such a sweet time with my family, we so rarely have a day that is just for ourselves. From church to movies on the couch I live for every second of it. Being me, no day can be perfect with out great food. Short ribs are the perfect Sunday meal because you can smell them cooking all day and just soak up all that goodness.
I usually start these right when we get home from Church so we usually eat them as a late lunch early dinner, which is fine with me because it leaves plenty of time for seconds!
I serve my short ribs with mashed potatoes and it’s divine. However, I may be partial because I would eat mashed potatoes with literally everything.
This meal is for sure a labor of love, but trust me, it’s worth every second. I swear you can hear angles singing when you take this pot out of the oven.
- 4 lbs Short ribs
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 and ½ cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 250
- Dust short ribs with flour and season with salt and pepper
- Add 2 tbsp of olive in a heavy bottomed pan and heat over medium high heat
- Sear all sides of ribs, about 2 minutes a side, remove from heat and set aside
- Add chopped onion, celery, and carrots and saute until onion is translucent. Add garlic and tomato paste and stir to combine.
- Add diced tomatoes and red wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Scraping up all brown bit on the bottom.
- Add beef stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add short ribs back to pot as well as thyme and rosemary
- Cover and place
intooven for 2-3 hours until ribs are fork tender.
- Serve over mashed potatoes- enjoy!